Friday, October 6, 2017

Why would anybody buy a book from you?

That is something an ex relative told me in my early twenties when I expressed a need to write a book about a scientific theory of mine. It did not dissuade me from wanting to write but circumstances and inexperience worked against me. Though I had never written that book yet, I have published fictional novels. Currently the Vickie series are my main focus. Yet I have taken a short break to write a standalone all age appropriate novel adapted from one of my old short stories. I have used my Vickie character in this other unrelated novel to cross-pollinate my books. That gives my readers and "Easter egg" about Vickie not talked about in the series. I like to pack hidden meanings for readers to find in my stories. The Vickie series about a woman who is a victim of rape from her teenage years that has become an indomitable person. She is incredibly intelligent and physically strong as well as able to deal with most anything that comes at her. She dispenses her brand of justice on people and things she feels are wrong. The reactions I have had from readers are varied. Everyone loves the story and women in particular love the series. I have had several men though confront me saying Vickie is too strong or not nice. They were emotionally disturbed by this character which is very interesting to me. While they may not know quite why Vickie bothers them so much, I do. I wrote her character that way. She is meant to be intimidating and hard to deal with. When I first drafted the manuscript, several people in the marketing and movie industry told me they felt this would make a powerful TV series. Though they were not in that business exactly, they pushed this story to those that are. However the fact is until it is a best seller and has lots of traction, it is not going to be invested in merely on its merits. Someday though, that may happen. I hope so because Vickie's story needs to be told in many ways. It is already in print, audio book and even translated in various languages. It just needs to break the ice and become part of the consciousness of the book reading world. Meanwhile I continue to write the series. Vic/Tim was first written but after much encouragement, I made Vickie's story into a series. Vic/Tim became book four in the series and then I published the prequel Vickie which tells her story's beginning. Followed by Valkyrie which is her first major issue to deal with that gives her some fame. The next book Violet being finished now and makes Vickie face her first overwhelming nemesis. But where is this story of Vickie all leading to? After the Vic/Tim book will be two more. In those books we will see what her destiny is and what life has been molding her to deal with on a global stage. Those close to me know the end game of the series and to my surprise cried listening to it. So maybe this series will end with the climax worthy of this Vickie character. I hope so, as I feel a great responsibility to make it happen for her. She is the champion of victims everywhere and the hope of those in her world. The Vickie series is fiction as real as it gets as I have been told. Thank you to the professionals in various fields from lawyers to famous astrophysicists that contributed to developing some of the characters, I am eternally grateful. When I am done with this series I have other books of other genres to write which I very much look forward to. Many books to come! So back to the relative long ago that asked me who would buy a book from me, I say; "just wait and see."

No comments:

Post a Comment